Sunday 27 October 2013

Organising the Penguin Books Collection


I have been spending a great deal of time sorting the various series that Penguin Books published between 1935 and 1970 in my extensive collection.

Most people, when they think of a Penguin book think of an often tattered orange book of fiction and that is the end of it.

However there were many different types of Penguin publications and as I travel around by scooter, car or plane I pick up anything I see that was first published (for the most part) by Allen Lane during this time period.

There are also books about him and the innovative publishing achievements during his career.

Penguin books were published in several countries but he was the person who started it all with his vision.  A good read that anyone could afford.

My entire Penguin library is almost finished being inventoried on this blog and about 90% of the collection has been photographed and catalogued on The Library Thing web site.

Anyone who is interested is welcome to peruse the titles, authors and the various series of books that were published by Allen Lane until his death in 1970.  There are also more modern series and individual books published after his death I own, when ISBN numbers came into being,  but the focus of my collection is on those books published between 1935 and 1970 when Allen Lane then died and the publishing company changed hands.

I am not sure what will happen to my library one day but I know it will either be donated or sold as one large collection.  The only way to keep these wonderful books out of landfill and being pulped, 
is to keep them together. I don't think they'd survive for as long if sold individually.

 Hopefully someone will think they are as valuable as I and my friends believe they are and continue to give them a home.

If you'd like to see the lists or donate/sell books you no longer want feel free to go to the inventory lists at the top of the page and see what continues to be missing. All lists are updated regularly.

The lists will never be completed but that is what is so much fun about collecting anything.

The Quest !

4 comments:

  1. (You've got a new blog look? - nice!) I'm pretty sure that, for many bloggers out there, you and Karyn have made us look at Penguins in a completely different and far more appreciative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. The Penguins are a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. I just love it when you write about your Penguin collection. As far as I'm concerned, you can never say too much. Book collecting is my first love, too, and it's enchanting to hear your take on it. Actually, it so inspires me!
    Have a great weekend,
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always so much fun to come across another collectable book that is on the list. Happy collecting to you too.

      Delete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.