Friday 11 April 2014

Booking Through Thursday- Question for the day.


We are waking up to wind and rain today. Thank goodness we're at the bottom of Australia as the top end, in northern Queensland is expecting a Category 5 hurricane this afternoon. Very scary. Tasmania is immune from such things. At least this century. 

I looked in at Booking Through Thursday today and you can see the question below.


btt button
Does the price of a book affect your decision about buying it? Do you wait for cheaper editions of books you want?

I have to say when I go into a book store I have a very difficult time coming out of it without something. The other day I came out with a pencil. Yes, a pencil. I was having a coffee in the cafe and working on my introduction to The Glass Menagerie for my upcoming Play Reading class and I wanted to mark the book a bit. I won't use ink in a book so I went up to the counter (they know me by now) and asked to buy a pencil. There were some drawing pencils by the counter so I took one of those.  Whoops! Will you sharpen it for me. And they did. 

Anyway, I digress.  If a book is absolutely beautiful I may covet it and sometimes I'll buy it but generally I won't.  If it is over $50.00 you can almost be sure I won't.  But I must laugh because if I do give in and buy it I have these visualisations of buying it, displaying it, reading it, of course, from cover to cover, learning something from it and having it become a main focus of my life. The reality of course is much different. I'll  buy it, bring it home, put it on the shelf for "later" and then get wound up in something else life is doing. 
Now that I know this is what I do I tend not to buy it as I must face my own reality when in these beautiful book shops. 

How about you? How do you approach a beautiful, expensive book?







7 comments:

  1. Like you, if I buy an expensive book, I treat it with respect - but don't necessarily read it right away. Because I buy a lot of books, I'm always looking for less expensive or used editions. Or I get the book from the library if they have it.

    I'm glad yo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite often try to get them from the library too if they have it. Then by the time I've finished with it I'm onto another one. Like in a frenzy. haha

      Delete
  2. If I can't find a good used book for $1 or less, I won't buy it. Never buy new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least there are a lot of places that sell books for a dollar or less. They seem to be everywhere. A good way to have a great read and save money.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I just "need" to buy those beautiful expensive editions, but since I've purchased a kindle I'm always checking the daily deals to see what I can get for just a couple of dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kindle deals are very addictive aren't they. I also check regularly but have to hold myself in check!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost always wait for the cheaper paperback but if I really, and I mean really can't wait that long (it rarely happens but it does) I do buy an expensive book. Not 50$ though, that's a bit too much.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.