Wednesday 25 April 2012

Muriel Spark Penguin Book Covers by Terrence Greer

Penguin No. 2235 published 1965
I thought I would share these old Penguin Muriel Spark covers. I really enjoy the contrast of pink, blue and orange on the front cover of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. The cover was illustrated by Terrence Greer.

Penguin No. 1912 published  1963
The Go-Away Bird and Other stories has a delightful little bird in black ink and as I love birds so much I enjoy this cover also by Terrence Greer. The cover to the Bachelors seems to sum up the book and it is interesting how so many of Greer's characters resemble each other so much in the various illustrations completed.


Penguin No. 1910 published 1963

6 comments:

  1. Love these covers........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think they are pretty nice too. All the best, Pam

      Delete
  2. Aren't they fabulous. That's quite the nicest Miss Brodie cover I've seen - mine is a picture from the film, and I never like covers which do that, I find it much too intrusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several Penguin books w/ the film covers on them and I really dislike them very much. I don't usually collect them as they are generally reprints and I try as hard as possible to collect the first published. Thank you for your comment, so nice to hear from you, Pam

      Delete
  3. These illustrations have many fans, I've discovered! I think my copy of The Bachelors is this edition - it's in Somerset, but I'm going there tomorrow, so perhaps I'll explore...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These really are the best Spark covers. Have you seen the one for the Robinson (I think), it has cat that would go well with The Go-Away Bird.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. I promise to try very hard to reply to any message left.